Who We Are:
The Victoria Caledonian Distillery is a tourist destination and single malt whisky-craft beer business located just minutes from downtown Victoria. Quality has been woven into the heart of our business, and we strive to produce the best possible whisky, beer, and tour experiences. Our tourism sales (tours, and Visitor Centre beer, whisky & swag sales) are growing significantly and we are already #5 on TripAdvisor for Victoria Food & Drink destinations with a 5-star rating! We are looking to expand our ranks. If working in a booming industry on the beautiful Canadian West Coast for an experiential tourist destination appeals we encourage you to apply.
Job Description: Part Time or Casual
Visitor Centre Sales Assistants are responsible for sales in our bar & retail gift shop and for standing in to conduct beer and whisky tours/tastings as required. As direct sales to guests are an important revenue stream for the Victoria Caledonian Distillery and represent the public persona of our destination tourism business, excellent customer service and organizational skills are imperative. Presenting a fun, confident, welcoming and helpful outlook is critical for this position. Visitor Centre Sales Assistants report to the Visitor Centre Manager. Both casual seasonal positions as well as part-time year-round work are available.
- Greet and welcome guests to foster a fun and positive atmosphere leading to a memorable tour and retail experience
- Promote and up-sell the Distillery’s products to guests
- Serve customers alcoholic beverages at the bar and tasting areas
- Process payments and operate a cash register
- Diligently re-stock product to maintain a wide retail selection for customers and create a professional looking gift shop
- Conduct store inventory to determine retail product orders
- Assist in the daily opening and closing of the distillery according to scheduled shift
- Help assemble promotions and displays within the visitor centre/gift shop
- Keep watch for potential shoplifters
- Full time tour guides are required to lead tours and beer and/or whisky tasting sessions with up to 30 guests in an interesting, entertaining, and fun way. Walk guests through the process of tasting our premium products and utilize the opportunity to market and sell our goods and merchandise. Tour and product training & coaching will be provided. Part time sales assistants are required to supplement tour guides, as required.
- Answer customer questions regarding both our products and the brewing and distilling process while also suggesting merchandise in a professional way.
- Assist in production and off-premise sales areas (e.g. Farmers Markets, Festivals) when needed.
Skills / Requirements:
- Confident, friendly, outgoing & engaging personality
- Strong work ethic and a passion for customer service and business success
- Comfortable presenting to groups of up to 30 people
- Willingness to develop a working knowledge of beer and whisky production & tastings
- Flexible schedule
- Ability to stand and walk for extended periods
- Attaining a ‘Serve it right’ certificate will be required for employment
- Providing your own car transportation is required for employment
- Fluent in English, other languages would be an asset
- Previous retail experience would be an asset
Start Date: ASAP
Remuneration: Commensurate with experience
How To Apply:
Qualified applicants are encouraged to apply in confidence to this job posting with a cover letter and resume. Candidates not submitting a cover letter explaining their suitability will not be considered. We thank all applicants who apply; however only those selected for consideration will be contacted.
Job Types: Part-time, Casual
- Victoria, BC (Preferred)
- Serving It Right (Preferred)