The award-winning Vancouver Convention Centre is currently in search for a Sustainability Coordinator to join our team. The Sustainability Coordinator is a member of the multi-faceted Facilities Operations team, responsible for helping the organization achieve sustainability goals by supporting environmental and socially responsible programs and initiatives.
As the leader of the Sustainability Committee, the Coordinator provides expertise while collaborating with committee members on the development of a sustainability strategy for the facility and coordinate implementation of initiatives that reduce the overall carbon footprint of the Convention Centre.
The Coordinator is a strong communicator and team contributor providing guidance, training and support to staff, clients and key stakeholders to encourage sustainable, socially responsible practices and events and to inspire accountability in daily practices beyond the Convention Centre.
BC Pavilion Corporation (PavCo) is a provincial Crown Corporation with a significant mandate to generate economic and community benefit for the people of British Columbia through its world class facilities - BC Place Stadium and the Vancouver Convention Centre. Our internationally-recognized facilities host a diverse range of events, from global summit meetings, professional and amateur sports to trade and consumer shows, and cultural, film and entertainment events, generating in excess of $400 million annually of economic benefit.
PavCo is recognized as a global leader in venue development, marketing and management. The Province’s flagship stadium, BC Place is proudly referred to as “Canada’s Home Stadium” for international sporting events. The iconic Vancouver Convention Centre is the world’s first double LEED® Platinum certified convention facility and has twice been named “World’s Best Convention Centre”.
Across all business units, PavCo’s team of approximately 800 staff collaborate with a diverse range of local and international partners, official suppliers with over 1,400 staff, and clientele to host an exciting year-round schedule of events. Together, we consistently deliver an outstanding level of commitment, skill and professionalism as we host exceptional experiences for a global audience.
WHY WORK WITH US:
Located on Vancouver’s downtown waterfront with a dramatic mountain backdrop, the Vancouver Convention Centre offers one of the most beautiful settings in the world to build your career.
Our award-winning facility hosts more than 550 events a year, from global conventions and trade and consumer shows to meetings, banquets and special events, welcoming hundreds of thousands of attendees from around the world. Apart from generating vital economic activity for BC, these events provide an important platform for the exchange of knowledge and information across industry sectors. The Convention Centre is an enviable position, consistently attracting globally sought-after events that bring industry leaders from around the world working in medicine, education, arts, intellectual science and many other influential fields.
Apart from the distinction of ‘Best Convention Centre and Best Convention Centre Service in North America’ by Watkins Research Group, we are proud to be the world’s first double LEED® Platinum certified convention centre. Our commitment to global leadership in environmental sustainability does not stop at our building; we follow sustainable practices daily from our ‘scratch’ kitchen that provides healthy food offerings to our staff and guests using fresh, local and seasonal ingredients, to our extensive facility-wide recycling program.
At the Convention Centre, you will join an extraordinary team recognized for a commitment to delivering unparalleled, seamless service to our guests and leadership in all aspects of our business. Our leaders are passionate about the growth of others, investing the time to coach, teach and advise every day. Leaders look for talent and find opportunities for that talent to flourish and shine.
WHAT YOU WILL BE DOING:
- Foster sustainable collaboration for environmental and social efforts among departments and also the community.
- Establish and maintain tracking methods for sustainability goals.
- Analyze and measure success and cost-effectiveness of programs.
- Provide training and support for staff, clients and key stakeholders on strategies for green events as well as socially responsible practices
- Assess sustainability risks in areas of social, financial, environmental to mitigate business interruptions.
- Maintain existing accreditations such as LEED EB: O&M and ASTM, and work towards new accreditations as required.
- Monitor and provide reports on the waste management program.
- Recommend and help implement new technologies and strategies to minimize waste, increase energy efficiency, reduce carbon emissions, enhance sustainable design and construction, guide purchasing etc.
- Coordinate sustainability and facilities projects as directed.
WHAT YOU BRING TO THE TABLE:
- Completion of a certificate program in Sustainable Energy Management or Sustainable Community Development.
- Experience in a sustainability role or equivalent/related role in Facilities Management.
- Certified Energy Manager (CEM), PMP, BOMA, IFMA, or CaGBC designation is preferred.
- Good understanding of waste management and waste diversion practices.
- Good understand of energy reduction strategies as they apply to large commercial facilities.
- Working knowledge of LEED requirements with a focus on operations and maintenance of existing buildings
- You demonstrate creativity and imagination; you think outside the box and make constructive suggestions.
- You evaluate new technologies as potential solutions to existing problems.
- You are comfortable taking balanced risks to deliver.
At PavCo, we are committed to being a diverse and inclusive employer that provides equal access to our employment opportunities based on ability. We encourage talented people from all backgrounds and experiences to apply.
This is a unique opportunity to join an innovative team dedicated to achieving outstanding results.
The team at PavCo thanks you for your application.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $50,000.00 to $65,000.00 /year
- sustainability: 2 years (Required)
- IFMA (Preferred)
- BOMA (Preferred)
- Certified Energy Manager (Preferred)
- PMP (Preferred)
- CaGBC (Preferred)