Compensation: $29.4274 - $36.7844/hour
Posting Date: June 14, 2019
Closing Date: June 21, 2019
Start Date: 07/01/2019
The IWK Health Centre is an internationally recognized and respected academic health sciences centre located in Halifax, Nova Scotia, providing tertiary and primary care for two million women, children, youth and families across the Atlantic region. The IWK is committed to a workplace where our staff, physicians, learners and volunteers reflect the patients, families and communities that we serve. We seek and encourage applicants who reflect our broad diversity, and we are committed to reducing barriers to employment and career growth.
Reporting to the Manager, Plant Maintenance & Operations, the Supervisor, Plant Maintenance and Operations is part of Facilities and Environmental Services and is responsible for maintenance and operations of all building and clinical infrastructures required to support the Health Centre, including off-site locations. The Supervisor acts as a key contact and assists with daily coordination of staff and operations of the department. The Supervisor is responsible for troubleshooting and decision making with the Manager, Plant Maintenance and Operations, prioritizes, co-ordinates, and oversee jobs with contractors and Plant Maintenance staff. This position ensures all trades working within the building comply with industry standards, internal guidelines and safety procedures, responsible for other related duties as required. This position frequently works with physicians, clinical staff and government agencies to resolve issues which may affect patient care.
Operation and Maintenance of Buildings and Systems:
- Coordinate, prioritize, and delegate all work orders and requests as appropriate, to minimize impact to patient care.
- Troubleshoot any work orders with contractors, staff and consultants as necessary and provide recommended solutions for the organization
- Ensures all work meet industry standards, codes, infection prevention protocols, safety, etc.
- Coordinates the operation and functionality of all building structures and their support systems to ensure quality of performance to meet the requirements of patients, building occupants, visitors and the public including:
Fire Alarm Systems
- Coordinates building infrastructure maintenance services, preventative maintenance scheduling and services of outside contractors.
- Monitor the building control system, workplace environment and life safety systems to ensure optimum performance
- This position is expected to respond to any and all major building infrastructure disruptions that may occur at any hour or day
- Participate / work an after-hours On-Call schedule in collaboration with the Manager
- Work with various facilities and infrastructure related committee as needed
- Provides daily operational oversight, coordination, and delegation of staff
- Participate in staff recruitment, selection and performance management processes
- Provides input into the yearly Performance Appraisals for staff members
- Arranges for and trains staff members when required
- Act as Chief Engineer in the absence of the Manager
- Act as a resource and key contact for all other Maintenance staff as it relates to the Plant Operations department
- Work with manager and Facility Redevelopment staff on major budgeting decision and infrastructure requirements
- Provide support with large and small redevelopment projects and moves for other support and clinical departments
- Work with vendors and service provider as required on projects
- Ensures that project targets are completed on time
- Working with redevelopment committee
- Participate in the preparation of project budgets and yearly department budgets and procurement documents with Manager
75 Hours Bi-Weekly
- Minimum High School Diploma or equivalent required
- 2nd class refrigeration certificate, or 3rd class standardized power engineering certification
- Minimum 3-5 years of experience in building infrastructure in a hospital environment
- Minimum of 3-5 years of experience in plant maintenance, construction or operations with supervisory experience. Supervision of unionized staff preferred.
- Knowledge and experience in other trades (plumbing, electrical, carpentry, HVAC, steam fitter, welding, electronics, etc.) considered an asset
- Proficiency with Microsoft computer applications
- Proficiency with DirectLine or other asset management systems preferred
- Ability to handle emergencies
- Strong organizational and prioritization skills
- General knowledge of all facets of hospital environments and how each are dependant and relate to one another
- Strong communication skills both verbal and written
- Experience reading blue prints, schematics, service manuals, construction documents, contracts, etc.
- Knowledge of all building systems, materials and building standards, codes, best practices, etc.
- Knowledge of building automated systems (particularly Metasys/Johnsons, Insight/Semens) considered an asset.
- Competencies in other languages an asset; French preferred
Thank you for your interest with the IWK Health Centre. Please sign in to create a profile and set-up Job Alerts for positions of interest.
Please Note: If you are an employee of the IWK Health Centre, please apply through the internal careers page to ensure you are flagged as an internal applicant.Applications are accepted until 11:59 PM on the Closing Date.