If you believe in the same things we do, let’s talk.
First West Credit Union is a tight-knit team of smart, friendly, creative, skillful and passionate professionals spread across British Columbia and beyond. We’ve come together because we believe in making a real difference in people’s financial lives. We believe that keeping things simple, showing leadership, and banking cooperatively can change the world for the better.
We are seeking a Legal Counsel to join our team.
The Legal Counsel will provide effective, timely, business-minded services to First West on a broad range of day-to-day and strategic legal issues. This position will also assist in ensuring legal compliance for First West and limiting its legal risk exposure.
Here’s what would be included as a part of your typical day:
1. Contracts: Drafts, reviews and negotiates various types of contracts, including service agreements and technology licensing agreements. Advises on existing contractual arrangements and questions of contract interpretation.
2. Legal Advice: Serves as a legal point of contact for business units within First West, assisting internal business partners in identifying legal issues and risks to ensure the correct determination of actions to be taken, including providing advice to business to minimize legal risk and reputational impact.
3. Legal Compliance: Assists in ensuring First West complies with relevant laws and regulations, including maintaining current knowledge of applicable legislation. Conducts legal research and prepare reports, including briefing business teams on legal matters and potential impact on the business.
4. Legal Risk Management: Applies effective legal risk management techniques and performs legal activities within the established standards of the legal profession to protect First West’s business interests and reputation. Assists Risk department with drafting and reviewing procedures and guidelines for business that ensure compliance with legal requirements, and meet the standards set out in Board policies.
5. Corporate Filings: Assists with Corporate Governance team with coordinating annual filings and corporate records.
6. Federal Expansion Strategy: Serves as alternate for all legal activities related to the federal expansion strategy when the Director of Legal Affairs in unavailable, including provincial and federal legal requirements, working collaboratively with the federal expansion team.
Required Skills, Experience & Qualifications:
- 3 years proven experience as legal counsel in business environment or at a major Canadian law firm
- Excellent knowledge and understanding of applicable law and procedures
- Proficient with computer software applications e.g. MSOffice
- Demonstrated ability to create legal defensive or proactive strategies
- High degree of professional ethics and integrity
- Sound judgement and ability to analyze situations and information
- Effective interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate verbally, in writing and through presentations with a wide variety of stakeholder at various levels within the organization
Why work for us?
Our employees give us a lot and we think it’s only right to give something back. We offer a total rewards package that includes:
- A competitive base salary plus performance-based incentive compensation and annual merit pay increases
- Flexible benefits as well as retirement benefits
- Vacation time, a flexible “Day4U”, and the ability to purchase up to 5 additional flex days
- Other financial perks such as waived or reduced financial service fees, reduced rates on personal loans, mortgages, and vehicle leases, and no-interest loans to buy computers or fitness equipment for home use
- But most of all, we’re invested in our local communities. Our initiatives are far-reaching with a special focus on raising food, funds and awareness for our local food banks. We volunteer and employees can be provided with paid time off to volunteer their time to assist in serving an organization.
There is flexibility in this role to work remotely from home, or even downtown Vancouver, however there will be times in which you will need to work out of the Langley Head Office
What’s your place in the First West story? Apply now and let’s find out together!
Diversity & Inclusion
First West Credit Union is committed to diversity and inclusion. Our goal is to create an inclusive, accessible environment for our candidates and employees that reflects the communities in which operate. If you require an accommodation for the recruitment or interview process (including alternate formats of materials, accessible meeting rooms or other types of accommodation), please let us know and we will work with you to meet your needs.
Any vacancy posted on this site comes from Indeed and it's network through the API. If you find this job is not supposed to be on this site, please report it on Indeed.